Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Finally a Rain Out!

What a strange baseball season it has been.....

Here we are six plus weeks into the high school season, and yesterday was the first game I have had canceled in total due to wet weather/grounds.  32 games in, even with my late start, and just two of those were postponed, but those after getting started, one in the 5th and another, last Saturday, in the 2nd....last night it wasn't to be.   Crestview called and canceled the contest at around 3pm....it was a good thing too.  We had three major storms pound the area, and on top of the rain we received late Monday(after my game at LCC was completed), I say our "mini drought" is over, at least for now.

My old buddy Jim, who I work with next week at the Crestview D4 Sectional Tourney, and I have the completion of a game tonight at Lima Perry...how long it lasts I don't have a clue....the game was suspended because of darkness a couple of weeks ago, with Perry and Waynesfield tied going into the top of the 12th.....so we may be around for an inning, two, five...we just don't know, but with a 5pm start, we should be able to finish it before dark.

The strange Spring weather meanwhile will continue.   Saturday we had 40 degrees, with some rain, sleet, and snow, at Paulding....today we are looking for possible record highs, and it may reach 90...they are forecasting 88 with a 30% chance of storms.  Tomorrow, Garry and I will head to Crestview, where LCC and the home squad will settle the NWC Championship.  Lima Central Catholic has clinched a share of the title, but Crestview can earn a piece if they defeat the visiting Thunderbirds tomorrow.  I will work the plate for that one....

Friday it's back to a good chance of rain, at 50%, I'm doing a Putnam County League make-up at Ottoville....then Saturday 40 year umpiring veteran Dave West and I will work the first two games of the Lima Shawnee D3 Sectional, when Delphos Jefferson meets Bluffton, and Rockford Parkway takes on Lima Bath, both games should be competitive.  After that it's games each day, except Sundays and rain outs through May 12th....followed by the Coldwater D4 District on May 16th and 18th.....then some resting up before Summer Baseball starts the first of June.

Personal Planting Gets Going___

Before the rains came yesterday, I finally got out and about, and sowed some seeds in and around the fence line, in the back yard....planting some differing varieties of Sunflowers, Moon Flowers, and others.....not sure how much mud is now burying the seeds, but I kept plenty in reserve, and will replant in a week or so, if I find it necessary....May 1st seems to have treated the flowering plants well over the past few years, so I will see how it works out this time around.

That will do it for now....back later>>>>

Photos-Wet Baseballs and Diamonds have been rare so far this Spring Season....but look for those conditions to increase as we head for Tournament time.....and with my planting beginning yesterday, hopefully this years flower crop will equal or better last seasons.

No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...