Monday, December 24, 2012

Chistmas 2012....photos and memories past

Just a quickie on this Christmas Eve morning...

Merry Christmas to All.....except, nah, never mind....Merry Christmas to All...even those that would destroy the Republic, our Freedoms, and all references to God....

63 Christmas Days and and equal amount of Christmas Eves...I have seen come and go...and frankly only a handful I can remember, exactly where I was and what I received.  Various years bring various memories.

I guess 40 years ago tonight stands out most vividly...I was in upstate New York that evening when I received a phone call from brother Mike, informing me that dad had died of a heart attack that evening...I flew home from Syracuse the next morning, Christmas morning, we had the viewing on the 26th and the funeral and burial in the Scott, Ohio, Cemetery on the 27th....Stan Houseworth was just 55, and had celebrated his birthday just two weeks prior...I was 23, and I remember the next Christmas or two was hard, but eventually we got back to our family celebrations on Christmas Eve.  We will do that tonight, at least with part of the family...Hal, Lisa, Kasyn, Anissa, mom, Mike, and Marty and her family, minus the recently married Mikki, will all gather at her house...it is what we have done the past few years.  Sam is back in Chicago, back at work today, then off to Wisconsin tomorrow to spend part of Christmas with his other grandparents, and some of the family on the wife's side.

As stated, I don't remember all of the Christmas mornings, but some come to mind....

As a youngest in Venice, Florida, I remember most...from the early days at Alston's Cottages in the early and mid 1950s to the days at the "new" house on School Street.  Once we moved back to Ohio, the memories became less clear...let's face it, as a teenager, you have different views on Christmas and what you want....

The military days in the Air Force, I remember coming home from Dover that first year, and spending the 5 day break here....Vietnam?  I really don't remember that Christmas, I do remember I was in the process of transferring from Nha Trang a few hundred miles south to Saigon and Tan Son Nhut Air Base...I arrived there on December 27, 1969....

The later days, especially after the kids came along, I remember the Christmas Days on the old farm on Coldwater Creek best of all...when the kids were kids, and appreciated just about everything they received, and least until the wore those gifts out...









This Christmas Day it will be just Patricia, Anissa for a few hours, and me....that will be different...a quiet Christmas, I am kind of looking forward to that....but in the meantime, today will be busy, with plenty of visits, especially with the grandson here, Kasyn will be celebrating his second Christmas, but since he was just a month old last year....this year will be a bit more special for him...although, I am sure he won't remember it.  My first memory of Christmas is from 1954 in Florida...although I do have memories of my childhood back before then, just not of Christmas.

OK...off we go, once again, have a excellent Christmas.

back later>>>>Photos-From Christmas Days Past...Stan Houseworth passed away 40 years ago today, Christmas Eve 1972, Venice Florida, Me, Mike, Al Foust, and Marty our first year on School Street, South Venice Florida 1955, Me, Marty, Mike, Anissa{left} and Friends from Christmas Past, Sam Houseworth, Hal Houseworth, The 1955 Christmas Tree Setup in South Venice, and finally Patrica's new Hors d' oeuvre, The Penguins, made of cheese, cream cheese, black olives, and carrots

No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...