Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Tom Browning, Goodbye Mr Perfect...and other loses near Christmas

 


As I've probably mentioned over the past 15 1/2 years on this blog, many births, death, weddings, and events, happen in the PRH family and circles during December...so I won't go ranting about each...

However this past Monday my youngest son called and informed me that an old acquaintance of mine had passed...Tom Browning, of the Cincinnati Reds, age 62, passed in his northern Kentucky home on December 19th...

Browning at the time in 1988 was only the 12th pitcher in MLB History and the only Cincinnati Red to ever toss a perfect game...that being no runs, no hits, nobody reaching base in any fashion, 27 batters  27 outs...But Browning was so much more than that...

Tom Browning Stats   

I first met him in 1985 at a Media Caravan in Dayton, Ohio, I believe, January of 85, I think, although with the passage of time, who knows the date?  Over the next few years, during my part time broadcasting gig {I slaved in that business fulltime for a few years, 1978-83, then for another 25 part time for the fun of it}, I had the pleasure of interviewing him, usually along with Joe Nuxhall, who before he became a Reds Broadcaster, was the youngest player ever to don a MLB Uniform, at age 15 back in 1944...both of these guys were the real deal and both were great men and characters ... I was lucky enough to toss back a few beers with both men over a short period of a decade or so...

RIP Tom Browning, hopefully you and Joe are connected and tossing down a few in the afterlife...


After Tom's death, today we found out that Franco "Immaculate Reception" Harris had passed during the night...now I'll admit I hated the Pittsburgh Steelers, and still do {probably because of their success and my Cincinnati Bengals lack of same over the years, although that is changing}...however I had nothing personal against Harris.  He died just 2 days before the 50th anniversary of the bounced catch in the AFC Playoffs to defeat the Oakland Raiders on December 23rd, 1972...the next day while I was spending Christmas in upstate Rome, New York, my dad, Stan, passed away of a sudden Heart Attack, on Christmas Eve 1972...we will note that date this year, the 50 years have flown by like a thief in the night...

The Immaculate Reception   

So RIP Tom Browning, Franco Harris, and Stan Houseworth...We celebrate the birth of Christ, but also remember those who passed on or close to the day we remember his birth...


If I don't get back before Christmas or New Years Day...Have a Great Holiday Season and stay safe...


No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...