Sunday, November 7, 2021

Florida Trip 2021 Post #4

 


By the time I was into the Florida 2021 Trip Day #6, I would say good bye to Tom and his St. Johns River, and cross the state, then back on I-75 south to my old home {1953-63} Venice...albeit, hardly the same town I grew up in.  Venice, like almost all the coastal areas of Florida {along with the Orlando mess}, has become over crowded, crime ridden, and way to "Diversified" for my enjoyment...but that rant and cow left the barn long ago, so I still felt the need to make my obligatory stop, like I have done for the last visits,  about every other year.

Regardless, I grabbed the cell phone when I stopped near Sarasota at the I-75 Rest Area nearby and checked out some motels and prices...no way was I staying at the place the family stayed back in the late 1990s and early part of this century.  The Inn at the Beach, while it has not changed much in looks has sure went up in price, and I didn't feel the need to spend $200 a night for a damn bed, no matter how close it was to the beach!



Inn at the Beach Venice  

So after a bit of searching, I finally found an Old Venice Motel, one that was around when I was just a kid...

Island Breeze Inn   

Make no mistake, the place doesn't look as good as the photos show...it's actually kind of a, well I won't use the word "Dump"...but it's no 4 or 5 star hostel either.  However, for my needs, A/C, a fridge, Cable TV, and fairly clean, at 1/3rd the cost, it was indeed "My Kind Of Place".  I mean, what the Hell?  I was on a solo trip, without the wife or kids, grandkids, or motorcycle riding buds...I needed a place to sleep, sit outside the room and smoke a cigar or two and drink a few beers...Bingo!  I had my place for the next 44 hours or so...

Up next ... a couple of days of wandering the beach, Jetties, both north and south, to do some "fishing" {not good, but the rip tide was partly responsible} and photo taking.  Hey the old hometown ain't what it used to be, but I usually feel obligated to stop by and see the changes...a few old friends still live there, but not on the agenda for this trip.

Photos:  Top Island Breeze Inn, my room at the end of the strip...I was the only White Guy there for the first night...lots of Spanish Speaking Contractors...good guys, some living in the west strip of rooms with their families...2nd photo, the Inn at the Beach as it looked back in 1998 or maybe 2000, one of the family trips, the only major change is the cost!  From about $100 a night to around $200 to $275, no thanks...Bottom Photo, the Monday October 25th Sunset off Venice Beach.


No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...