Thursday, November 14, 2019

October in South Florida part #8


After a great, relaxing 18 hours at "Drop Anchor Resort" {a decent motel, but hardly a "resort"} on the Atlantic side of Islamorada, I pulled up "anchor" and headed north in the Wrangler....still undecided which way to go, or even where....my first decision was a mistake that cost me time, but not much else.

I was deciding whether to go deep into the Everglades for some photo shooting or not...with the construction on the 'by pass" FL997 I opted not to on this trip and decided to take US 1 back to the Tamiami Trail {US 41}...who would have thought that 4 lanes {8 total in both directions} could be so plugged and crowded between 10 and 11am?  Not me, silly me...I can only imagine what the traffic on those roads will be like this weekend, with the influx of Key West Travelers and those heading for the final NASCAR Race of the season at Homestead???  What a nightmare...!

I finally jumped off before I got to Miami and found my way back to 41...I should have went into the Glades, I would have not wasted any more time than I did on Highway 1...what a
mistake {one that I won't make next, if there is a next time}.

The rest of the drive on 41 and FL 29 to I-75 was a breeze...however as I got to the Fort Myers area I noticed some major storm clouds moving from east to west and did my best to out run those...I did, for the most part.  I had planned on getting towards the Tampa area and beyond and then make a quick and shorter trip to the DeLand area on Saturday to see my old buddy Tom Friedly from Rockford, Ohio...he works with Trotters and Pacer Horses over that way, and now lives in Florida full time...but I got to my old hometown of Venice and decided to stop for gas...once there, on the outskirts, I figured "Hell, it's only 3 or so hours to Tom's, even from Venice"...so I checked the prices at the Holiday Inn Express next door, got a decent rate...bar/restaurant next door...I was set to go.

After checking in, I waited out a storm, that dropped a couple of inches of rain along the Interstate...with another one coming for later...but that gave me enough time to head down to my old haunt from the Fifties and early Sixties, Venice Beach, and wait for the Sunset...I was awarded with some of the photos on here today.


Back to the Motel and I decided to grab a six pack, took that to the room and then over to the Bar/Restaurant next door, a place called "Brew Burgers"...a nice little dive with friendly staff, good burgers, and cold craft beer...I stayed for an hour or so, then headed back to the room to watch some of the World Series...the next morning it was up early, breakfast downstairs, which the motel had a good one, and then it was back to driving north, as my trip was winding down...

Up Next #9...off to Tom's...

back later>>>>>

Photos:  All Friday Evening Sunsets at Venice Beach on October 25, 2019...






No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...