Saturday, June 23, 2018

This Week in History...a personal look back. 6/23/2018

Several things, on both the historical and personal stage happened this coming week...first off the "historical" happenings.

The Battle of Little Big Horn  June 25, 26, 1876...

Custer's Last Stand was indeed a defeat by the Redskins over the Americans...but while winning the battle, they pissed off the average American, and eventually lost the war and their freedoms...Liberals and freeloading foreign types call it one way, patriots call it another....you can pick your side, but the bottom line is, this was in almost every way, the end of the "Indian Wars" and America won....

The notion that the American Indians were somehow an innocent people is pure Bullshit...in this case "Sitting Bullshit":

Sitting BS

On a Personal Level the coming week marks 3 anniversaries that I can think of off the top of my aging brow:

50 years ago, June 24-26th 1968...Leaving Ohio for Basic Training at Amarillo, AFB, Texas..

My first airplane ride ever on June 24, 1968 took me from Columbus, Ohio to Amarillo, Texas, via Dallas and Lubbock, Texas....I arrived at the base on the dusty flatlands of the Texas Panhandle on the early morning of June 25th, and my processing was completed on June 26th when they snapped photos of our little crew.

49 years ago June 30th, 1969....I left for South Vietnam.  Landing at Tan Son Nhut on July 1st, then after an overnight in the Transit Barracks, I flew on to my first base at Nha Trang, on July
2nd, when I was quickly assigned to Day {A} Flight Law Enforcement by Tech Sgt Phil Lange...war zone or not, Nha Trang was as good a duty as I would have in my 4 years in the Air Force.

48 years ago on 29 June 1970...Heading Home!

Back at Tan Son Nhut after a short stint working Security on C {overnight} Flights...I received my orders {Griffiss AFB, upstate New York, worst and last duty of my 4 years}...and headed home for 39 days of Hell Raising fun....looking back I should have finished out my Air Force days in Vietnam...but hindsight is always 20/20 and perhaps my life would not have been as good as it has turned out.

That is a quick look back on some of the things that happened in history on these days....more to come in later postings.

Back Later>>>>>

No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...