Friday, May 23, 2008

Wrapping up the Week/Spring Baseball







Finished up the regular season yesterday with a make-up NWC League game at Columbus Grove.....Lincolnview scores 3 off a sluggish home squad in the top of the 1st inning and are cruising to a win when Grove decides to score 3 in the bottom of the 7th....we end up going 11 innings and 2 hours 40 minutes, the longest game inning-wise of my high school umpiring career....Lincolnview scores 2 in the 11th, survive a monster home run by Grove, and win 5-4, ending my Spring season.....Unless something comes up, I am off until the American Legion and ACME(summer high school) season starts May 31st...having done the plate last night in that marathon, my legs and back need the rest.

Meanwhile some other interesting local developments in the baseball season. My, and my sons, alma mater, the Celina Bulldogs had pretty bad season, don't know how else to say it....they finished the regular season 7 wins 16 loses(or something close to that)...and won only 2 games while dropping 7, to finish next to last in the Western Buckeye League. But that's why they play the post season....dropping from Division 1(the largest schools in Ohio) to Division 2, Celina was paired in the sectional and district tournaments with many teams from their league....at the Sectional level, they ended up playing 2 teams they had lost to in league action...St. Marys and Van Wert...Celina wins both of SM 7-4 then run rules VW 11-1. That brings them to the Division 2 District at Archbold...Celina in the bracket with the top 2 teams in the WBL, Defiance the #1 ranked team in the state at 24-1 who beat Celina 3-0 during the league season, Lima Shawnee the second place team in the WBL with just 4 loses, and a good Maumee team from near Toledo.

Lo and behold, the Celina Bulldogs knock off the top ranked Defiance Bulldogs 3-2 yesterday...nobody saw that coming, meanwhile Shawnee edges Maumee 1-0 in a classic pitchers duel....the means Celina faces LS tonight in the District final...Shawnee is the 4th straight team that Celina faces in tournament action, that they lost to in the regular season......you just never know.


Today I will take Sam to Warsaw, Indiana, to pick up a Class C RV destined for Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Not many RVs being sold it appears, I have semi-retired from the RV driving gigs, but will take local runs on occasion....Sam, who plans on heading back to college this fall, is picking a good time for it....I fear the US economy is heading for Hell in a hand basket, and it feels like 1929...while the idiots in Washington and the left wing environmental nutjobs still refuse to drill for oil on the home front, or even refuse to admit, we are in deep dung. They fiddle, as the US of A burns.....idiots! And guess what?, It doesn't make a damn difference which of the 3 Stooges gets elected, they are going to have a mess, and none are qualified to solve the massive problems we have ahead.


Enough ranting....I've got some time off, and I plan on enjoying it, getting into shape, but still drinking beer, and smoking a few cigars.


back later........................
Left to Right...WBL, NWC and MAC....3 leagues that I work, along with the Green Meadows, and Putnam County leagues.



2 comments:

FHB said...

Enjoy the games man, and the trip. Sounds like fun. I share your worries about the economy.

Sarge Charlie said...

On this Memorial Day remember my friends who died for your freedom.

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer “am I worth dying for?”~

Eleanor Roosevelt

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...