Friday, April 3, 2015

Moab Part #3 Riding the Potash



Over an inch of rain fell yesterday, needless to say it washed out the scheduled games and thus my ankle a chance for some rest.....today looks "iffy" as well and colder for tomorrow...so the real possibility is that I will have until at least Monday to rest....with next week looking wet from Monday Night through Friday, this could be one of those Springs....50% of games cancelled, does not bode well for my beer and gas tank support...but I have come to expect it.


In addition to the ankle and arm tendon, the off and on Cold  continues to batter me....I'm not sure if it is the same one I acquired the week prior to Moab, or a continuation or combination of 2 or 3 of them...either way, for someone is who seldom sick, this past few weeks has sucked, Health Wise....but that does not take away from the good riding and times at Moab, Utah the last week of March.

The Potash Ride, Monday, March 23, 2015.....

After getting off to a spilling and falling start on Sunday, I was not sure what was in store for Monday....it was decided to ride a road{of sorts} to the Island in the Sky, past a Potash Plant...it was a weaving winding path combined of slick road, paved routes, gravel and sand, which would end several thousand feet above with a winding 5 miles or so where we would exit the Canyon...the Potash/Shafter Trail is combination, and although the last few miles up and out, were a challenge, I enjoyed the ride, with 8 or 10 others....and when arriving at the top, I was happy as a clam to have made it out.....we took the paved roads back, and despite losing 2 riders, The Weasel and young Brian to bike issues, I counted this day, No spills and getting out alive as a success ....

The "Payoff Dinner".....

One of our TW Forum Fellow Travelers, who is Mr. "Iron Butt" himself, having logged nearly 2 million miles on Street and Dirt, from Washington State, made me a friendly wager last winter on the Ohio State vs Oregon National Football Title game....dinner at Moab it would be....since the Buckeyes took home the crown, Mike aka "Doc" aka TWilight, payed off Monday Night{I think but the days slipped by leaving a blur}....so Mike picked the Blu-Pig BBQ:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-blu-pig-moab

Some 20 of the gang showed up and the meal was indeed great, including the American Dark Lager BaBa Black Lager I downed...Thanks Again Mike....we will see how our NFL Bet turns out for next season...and the future rides.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/73965/

So here we were, one good/great day of riding and eating, after the not-so-great beginning on Sunday...batting .500, not so bad, I figured....I didn't know what the next day would bring, riding wise, but it again turned out to be a mixed bag....where I game close to disaster, not once but twice....and Tuesday would indeed put a challenge on my "fear of heights" mindset.

Back Later{probably will continue this on Monday}....



Photos-....The Road to the Top...our crew came from the left branch, and worked out way to the top via the "road" as you see it....{2} At the beginning, I was happy to have made it the first couple miles, little did I know what was in store for the next couple of hours.(3)Nick, was happy to have made it that far as well....(4)Reaching the top....had to get one great photo, and I did just that{you can see the trail below and in back of me}...(5)Dinner, mine was free due to a bet, at the Blu Pig in Moab....and below, 6, 7, 8, more views on the way.....Monday I declare a "Success".....






No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...