Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Moab Adventure Rides Part #2








Here it is Thursday, 4 days back from the Dual Sport Adventure Rides at Moab, Utah....3 games worked, baseball umpiring-wise, ankle still sore and swelling after games....it needs rest, but I will need the rain{which is predicted} to give me that....the knee is back to 66 year old "normal", and my right arm tendon is still sore....my weight lifting routine, already on hold from Utah, will not be in the future for sometime to come...no matter how good of shape one thinks they are at 66, once injured, time is required for the healing process.....but I am not complaining.

Baseball is slated for tonight at Delphos St Johns, against their cross town public school rival Delphos Jefferson....the rain may put a stop to that, and the game I have scheduled for Good Friday at Miller City is in serious doubt as well....the ankle is hoping for some rain and relief...the brain hates rain outs and working in cold weather....last night was perfect at Fort Jennings, I worked the plate with my District Partner, Ed O....and the sun and 65 was enjoyable.

Sunday March 22, 2015...

After our first night in the tiny 2 room KOA Cabin, 4 of us, me, Kurt, The Weasel, and Nick, along with our Phoenix KOA Neighbor, Paul the "Z-Diver" and the Jim "Ebbenflow" gang from PA, headed into town for a Sunday Breakfast at the "Jail House" cafĂ©....a good breakfast, but the prices were a bit steep, and the wait was about a half hour....Mini Marathon going on in Moab, and the streets were crowded.

Once finished there we prepared to head to the "North Camp" some 19 miles up highway 191 from us...that is where Ron from Boise, Mel, Admiral, his wife, and Plumstraight, were gathered, along with Mississippi Dan, and the 3 Larry's were gathered, Ebbenflow Jim from Pennsylvania, and his buddy and nephew would join us north as well....along with several others....including my buddy Doc Mike{TWilight} from Washington State, who owed me a meal for the OSU Buckeyes knocking off his Oregon Ducks in the NCAA FB Title Game....the payoff would be delicious....

Anyway after the first greetings, somebody talked a few unsuspecting fools{that would be me and Nick} into riding the flat sandy lands around the north camp....not speaking for anybody but me, this was my first{but not last} riding mistake of the week...Z-Diver, Nick, and I, all took several spills....my two, caused by sand and not knowing how to handle that, ended up with my ankle being stuck between sand and TW, and it has not been the same since....although the injury did not affect my riding....it did and still does affect my walking, but the riding was not a problem, at least not from the ankle.

Z-Diver Paul fell over backward and injured his back and ribs, but lived to ride the rest of the week, Nick, although not seemingly injured from his sandy spills, was gassed from the heat...and Kurt wisely decided to end the first day of riding....a lesson learned by all....

We escaped back to the KOA, then into Moab Town, where we would hit a few bars and the other 4 would eat Mexican....I would stay at one of the bars and down some local brews and watch the NCAA Tourney Games on CBS....

Tired, sore, but more than satisfied, the first full day was in the books....and tomorrow would be my favorite day of the 8 at Moab....as we rode the Potash and I reached the top for some great views and photos...

back tomorrow, Potash/Island in the Sky part #3

Photos-top to bottom...Showing off one of the T-Shirts I purchased for me and family in my Den.....The North Camp where we got our start on Sunday and were Mel{far left white shirt} fixed some great meals during the week. Me, already down to shirt in the heat, one spill down, one painful one to go....24 year old Spencer{aka: Weasel} who saved my bacon on a couple of occasions this first full day....great kid, excellent rider....and left to right, Weasel, Nick, Z-Diver Paul, and Borneo Kurt, sipping a cold one downtown Moab, after our first {somewhat} full day of riding...

No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...