Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Issac sticks around for Labor Day...

The one thing I hated about growing up in South Florida, on the Gulf, was the summertime humidity...I did back in the 1950s despise it, and still do.  This Labor Day weekend in Ohio was much like those days growing up...humid, humid, humid...if all began Friday.

The Football officiating crew met at Antwerp High School, the A/C was off in our locker room, which was probably a good thing, because the game conditions would be much like those in the locker area.  By the time the 28-6 Hilltop win over the host Archers was completed, we were a collection of five, stripping off clothes that weighed about 20 pounds more than when we walked out on the field a few hours earlier.  The rest of the weekend would not be much different.

The humidity and the rain in the Midwest that stayed through Labor Day and looks to be around through tomorrow, is the remains of "Issac" the former Hurricane that dumped large amounts of rain on New Orleans and the south....most of our area got no wind, and little of the rain from Issac, some got more liquid moister than others, but we all got our share of the humid conditions.

On Saturday I awoke and arrived at Celina Stadium for the JV game between the host Bulldogs and Ottawa-Glandorf.   O-G like their varsity counterparts on Friday, won a close game with Celina...the humidity was brutal.  2 hours later my officiating clothes, even wearing shorts this time,  again gained 15 or 20 pounds. 

Following the game Patricia, Anissa, and I had planned on heading north and west to Rick and Toni Pearson's for their Labor Day get together, along with several dozen others at the big pond near LaOtto, Indiana, I just couldn't make it...I was gassed.  Needing a day to recover, I watched Ohio beat Penn State and Ohio State destroy Miami of Ohio in Urban Meyer's first game as OSU head coach.  I needed the break, because even with football officiating done for the weekend{back in action this afternoon}, I had a date with youngest son Hal at the Reds/Phillies game on Labor Day Monday.

That game, with the Reds coming off a great road trip, a 9 1/2 game lead over St. Louis, and their ace on the mound, seemed a natural to end my losing streak at 2 games....it didn't work out that way.  I drove off, with rain arriving as I drove down I-75 near Troy, Ohio....it stuck around until Hal and I neared Cincinnati.  First stop "Johnny Rockets" grill, where we grabbed a couple super sandwiches a couple of beers...all on Hal as part of the "bet".

The bet was that I would stay off political posting on facebook for a month....I basically made it, and he bought the tickets, great seats, just 4 rows off the field, between 3rd base and left field, the beer, and lunch.  All went great, except the Reds, other than Jay Bruce, couldn't hit, and Philadelphia came away with a 4-2 win.

We arrived back in Centerville about 5:30pm....and I headed out, grabbed a large coffee at Tim Horton's and drove the back roads home to Celina, where I arrived safe, sound, and probably a couple of pounds heavier at 7 o'clock.

The humidity continues, hopefully the predicted cooler weather and dryer conditions will arrive by week's end.  Tomorrow back to Centerville, to sit with Grandson Kasyn......tonight back to football at Wayne Trace, a Junior High game.

back later>>>>

Photos-The Remains of "Issac" were present when I drove down the I-675 ramp towards Centerville yesterday morning.  The recent moisture has at least let the late blooming flowers, including my backyard Sunflowers come out.  Hal and I had great seats, just 4 rows off the field...you could reach out and touch the players if necessary...such as Jimmy Rollins, who blasted a 3 run homer to help the Phils defeat the Reds.


No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...