Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Morning View...And Still It(Rain) Comes...Flyers Move On....

After my post yesterday, the rain stopped, the winds continued, and some sun came out.... still about half the scheduled baseball games were washed out, including mine at Paulding.  Today, that won't be the case.  After the overnight downpours, I can guess without reservations, that none in this part of the state will see the diamonds this afternoon....I am scheduled to be back at Delphos Jefferson...but that is not likely to happen.  Tomorrow at Ottawa-Glandorf is doubtful at best.  Friday's game has been postponed at Spencerville, although a replacement game is probable...I'm back at the same location come Saturday for a double header with Delphos St. Johns...probably meaning another rain out with the luck I've had with DSJ games this year.  I would not be surprised to get zero games in this week, maybe a couple at best...next week doesn't look much better, I have not seen a spring/April like this in 30 years.....

Another Vietnam Reunion____

One of my Vietnam Security Police Associations, the 377th SPS out of Tan Son Nhut is having their bi-annual reunion this coming weekend in Branson, Missouri....they have had even more rain in that area than we have had.  Due to baseball commitments I won't make this one, but with the rain here, I probably could have made it without missing any played games.  I will miss this get together, but plan on spending a day or two at Kokomo for the Vietnam mini-reunion in early June, then more time at the same Howard County location for the full bash in September.  Come October, Patricia and I will meet up with a few hundred old Vietnam Sky Cops and wives at the annual VSPA Reunion...this time back in Dayton, at Wright-Patterson AFB.  At the current time, a small band of misfits from the 14th SPS out of Nha Trang, will see each other for the first time since 1969...Thompson, Bevan, Houseworth, Niemotka, Girod, and others plan on being there.  I am looking forward to that....

With the lull in the rains for a few hours yesterday, and with the help of the sun and wind, I managed to get our yard and mom's both done....a two hour conquest, that keeps me ahead of the game.  Who knows when I will get back out in the yards?  I want to plant my Sunflowers and other flowers this weekend, and Patricia needs to get the ground ready....but that might not happen, it all depends on the soil conditions after these persistent rains.

I also got to do some work on my 1977 Buick Land Yacht(see yesterday's posting)...picked up a new battery and tried to fire it up....with the help of massive amounts of starting fluid...I got the engine, which hasn't been run since 2005, to turn over and fire up....but not in a continuous run mode.  Old gas in the tank is part of the problem....I may have to drain that and put fresh in....at the least, once started, it will need a new exhaust, new plugs,(what a pain in the ass that is going to be, given the massive amounts of equipment in the engine compartment surrounding the passenger side spark plugs)...new tires.  I also expect several new hoses, and maybe belts, although those don't have much wear on them, since the rebuild.  Once done with that...I work on the outside...dents, and new paint are in the forecast.   It's going to be a long process...but Hell, I've got as much time as the Lord will allow me to have.

Philadelphia Flyers-on to Round 2____

My favorite Hockey team, The Philly Flyers, coming back from 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2, deficits during the best of 7 opening round series with Buffalo, roared to a 4-0 lead at home last night, and cruised to a 5-2 win to take the opening round.  They will have the home ice advantage(although it has not been much of an advantage of late) in the Eastern Semis....the opponent is yet to be named....Pittsburgh and Boston are possible...depending on what happens in the Pens vs Tampa Bay and Montreal vs Bruins series.  GO FLYERS!

I see a bit of sunshine peeking through one of the "Idiot Holes" in the cloud cover...too little too late to save today's game...more on the way for later today, tonight, and tomorrow...rain I mean, not sunshine...that will be at a premium until at least Friday.

back later>>>>

Photos-my old LA Rams Coffee mug, purchased long before their move to St. Louis, still holds my morning "joe" after more than 25 years...The rains run across the driveway this morning...upwards of 10 inches by the time April ends.  The 377th SPS Reunion will be this weekend in Missouri.  The behemoth engine compartment of the old 1977 Buick will need much care, before getting back on the road...and The Flyers move on to Stanley Cup Round #2....

No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...