Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wednesday....a couple of baseball points and some "I know Jack" tunes...

Damn, I gotta say things are pretty boring these days....

The weather, albeit early spring, sucks....after a day of much clouds, wind, and cold yesterday{we even had some flurry activity}...I headed north to southern Putnam County to umpire a Putnam League game between homestanding Fort Jennings and county rival Pandora-Gilboa.  Like many of the games reported yesterday, this one too, would be a pitchers duel.

With limited scoring opportunities the game remained scoreless after the regulation 7 innings...I was, like the last time I umpire a Jennings game, behind the plate.  The low scoring tie game got me to thinking about the Sectional final at Crestview last May...In that one the Muskies trailed Antwerp 1-0 with 2 out in the bottom of the 7th, when with a runner on 3rd base, the Fort Jennings coach decided to lay down a suicide squeeze...with 2 outs no less!  It worked, and we ended up going 14 innings, before Jennings plated a lone run to win the Sectional 2-1.  Last night it would not last that long...

P-G got a two run blast of a home run to take a 2-0 lead in the top of the 8th....Jennings, who like Pandora could do nothing for 7 innings, battled back and scored 3 runs of their own in the bottom of the 8th to come away with the 3-2 PCL win.  Meanwhile my umpire cohort Garry was down south at Fort Loramie and text me that they had been no hit by Marion Local...but the defending D4 State Champs still came away with a 1-0 win, despite going hitless.  In another area contest Parkway defeated Crestview by the same 1-0 score, this one went 8 innings.  Elsewhere Celina suffered a loss in their first league game, dropping a 5-1 count to Lima Bath.  Not a lot of offense in some of those games...and I suspect the cold, windy, weather had much to do with some of that.

Meanwhile on the national scene down in Cincinnati, the Reds moved to 4 wins and no losses on the season, with a 8-2 pounding of the Houston Astros...how long can this run last?  The home stand continues tonight and ends with a day game at Great American Park tomorrow afternoon.  Tonight, if the rains hold off or don't drop to much moister(the fields and ball diamonds can't handle much more), I am at Lima Central Catholic, as they take on the team I have been getting canceled out on a regular basis...Delphos St. Johns.  Four tries, four rain/cold outs trying to umpire DSJ...I scheduled to be at their field again next Monday, and guess what?  Rain in the forecast....

Who Says I Don't Know "Jack"______?

I've been sitting here this morning listening to XM Channel 6.  That's the Sirus/XM radio station that plays 1960s and only 1960s music..Neil Diamond is singing in the background as I type.  I heard a couple of tunes from those days that have a "Jack" connection, and I like them both....

JJ "Jack"son and It's Alright....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RRx7UPbkNs&feature=related 

And Jumpin "Jack" Flash...by the Rolling Uglies...a great video from way back in 1968...damn I was 19 when this came out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpfBWMOlOk 

And while on the subject of "Jack"....let me toss one from my favorite country artists...Alan "Jack"son:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mKkTm38w3E 

One of Jackson's early songs, with some great old time Cowboy and Western Video clips enclosed....

That does it for today....go out and enjoy

back later>>>> 

No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...