Sunday, April 3, 2011

Where were you in 72?~a musical look back...

Congrats to Butler for another shot at the NCAA Basketball Crown coming tomorrow night...not so much for "You Cons", and their corrupt coach...Go Butler, bring a title home for the small schools.....

Despite the lousy Spring thus far, I still managed to get 6 of 7 scheduled games in on my umpire calender this week...snow, hail, rain, and sleet, at Fort Recovery Friday afternoon, but we got into the 6th inning before I "killed' the game with Waynesfield up 9-3, the conditions had became to miserable to continue safely.  Then yesterday here in Celina on the turf diamond at Montgomery Field in Eastview Park...the local Bulldog JVs dropped both ends of a double header to visiting Greenville.  It was windy, and pretty uncomfortable...but we completed both contests, in about 4 hours total. 

The games this week look "iffy" to say the least, with strong storms tomorrow, and cold and windy conditions for Tuesday, after that it's a Crap Shoot, but so was this week, and most games were played...we will see what shakes out.

1972_____

One of those milestone years in my life...for better and worse. 

For the better, I was discharged honorably from the Air Force...a surprise to say the least...especially given the fact that I made every effort to be the "Turd in the Punch Bowl" of every superior I dealt with.  In early May I was shown the door, with honors, as long as I never tried to re-enlist.  In fact I couldn't re-enlist...seems their was a little "incident" with a short, sad, First Lt, that reminded me of a guy named Adolph...that got me out some 7 weeks early.   Later that year, on Christmas eve, dad, Stan Houseworth, passed away at the age of 55 of a sudden heart attack....and life moved on for the rest of us.  It took awhile to get over that...but life did eventually move on...

The early 70s had good music, the crap known as Disco wasn't in vogue, and the "Bubble Gum" stuff was fading out....

On facebook this morning one of my "friends" posted a song from 72 that I had forgotten about...this from the Motown Sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXGa__ECvnM

A real sound of soul....and a damn good song from The Main Ingredient"

Then this afternoon the 1972 Classic Movie, Deliverence is being shown on AMC....the Banjo Riff in the early part of that movie, is in itself "classic"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5IpFQn18WM 

Of course the amazing thing about this Banjo playing backwoods kid was...he was the real deal, just a backwoods non actor, who they slotted into the story line....you can "Google" that...

That's it for a rare Sunday "Rant"...back later>>>>

1 comment:

GeronL said...

I was being born in 1972. lol.

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...