Friday, April 4, 2008

The $100 Worm


Guess we got away lucky, at $96.30 for the virus cleaning....the winworm32 or some such crap was what it said.....the files lost can probably be replaced, but recovering all will not happen.


A VSPA buddy works with computers on a full time basis and recommended Panda virus protection....we have Norton, but still have no idea how the Hell this virus came up....I never open any mail, attachments, etc, even if Norton says the chance of infection is even 'small"...just not worth it...live and learn. I will be even more careful about downloading email attachments, photos etc....but as sophisticated as these things are nowadays, that my still be a shot in the dark.


Sam and I both got our games in last night before another round of rain hit....both doing the plate, him at St. Marys 5 vs St. Henry 6, while I was back at Delphos for a game between the 2 hometown rivals, where Delphos Jefferson got a no-hitter from their starter to subdue the city rivals St. Johns Blue Jays 5-0...Jefferson moves to 2-0 on the season, DSJ slips to 0-2.


Tonight's games are in serious doubt, Sam is at Minster and I'm 60 miles north at Ottawa-Glandorf against Miller City.....the Minster field has to be wet and it's not clearing anytime soon I suspect, not sure about the field at Glandorf, but even tomorrows double headers, me, here in Celina, and Sam at Marion Local, do not look good, because the amount of rain was heavy, and the clouds are expected to stick around until tonight, at least.


Guess that will give me a chance to watch Patricia bring the computer back to life, because, let's face it, I am clueless when it comes to the workings.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use Microsoft Malicious Software removal tool, Micosoft Defender, and McAfee Virus Protector, and so far I've been lucky. I open all sorts of attachments, but only if I know the people who are forwarding them to me. Sorry you got caught by the worm, but at least it wasn't that cathastrophic and you were able to get it fixed.

Buck said...

There's a special place in Hell for the idjits that write malware. I've been seriously considering a Mac next time around, but the premium they command over PCs, plus the cost of buying a lot of new apps to replace my not-Mac-compatible legacy apps, holds me back.

The jury's still out.

GUYK said...

I'm using AVG 7.5..the version that costs me 75 bucks a year. It was recommended to me by a friend I met at the Helen blogmeet last fall..the friend is a software writer and I figured he knew what he was talking about. It was kinda hard to download but well worth it. No problems since I got it

FHB said...

Yep, a special place in hell. Why can't someone create a worm that runs through your computer and gets rid of all the useless crap that accumulates every time you click on something?

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...