Friday, November 7, 2008

Which Way do I go From Here?

The election is passed and here I sit...somewhere between basketball season and winter. I've already put together a pretty full schedule of Jr High, JV, and Freshman Basketball games for my first season of round ball. That will take me within a month of baseball season, starting the end of March. My question, to myself, is...Where do I go from here?

Approaching 60(next March), I would rather not devote myself to going out and re-entering the daily grind, but RV Driving is pretty much in the tank...the runs will be few and far between, for the foreseeable future. Sure I could do some other "work" for $8 or $10 bucks an hour for cigar and Drambuie money...but, what the Hell? I really like this slant to life, although I'm not sure my wife agrees...she appreciates my helping out around the house, doing "busy" work and stuff like that, but I get the feeling she thinks I spend too much time around the house, and on the computer for my own good. Mine you, she doesn't complain or point fingers, I just think she would like to be "retire" as well...but she has at least 9 or 10 years to go. As for me, my immediate plans include finding something to do in addition to my Officiating Work....they way it looks, if my back and mind hold up, I will be doing 75-80 baseball games, 40 football games, and about 30 basketball games per season...somewhere around 150 games a year...not bad for an old fart. If things work out, I will also have the opportunity to run down to Cocoa Beach in early January and again in mid-February, and umpire 18 and under baseball tournaments for teams from around the country. Will have details and let you know more later.

The "Which Way to I go from Here" also applies to this blog...I've tried to make it about current events, both in and out of my life{pretty damn boring stuff at times}, and looking at the past. Well so much of both can go only so far....so, what next? Do I go 80% current events opinions, or do I try to keep the status quot, and go back to looking at the past, 50% of the time? Something I will figure out as time goes by...the blog will continue, as long as I can look at it, and decide that at least 1 person besides me, finds it worthwhile.

-------------------------
Yesterday, Reagan the Airedale and I spent outside...kicking the ball for awhile, then work needed done. I spent 2 hours or so ripping, cutting, chain sawing, the thick overgrown Ivy on the kennel...since Jack(Reagan's Dad) died in September 2007, the kennel area has not gotten much use, and the Ivy had taken charge...after dispatching that, I took on the garage...and an hour later, I was spent. Drank 2 beers, and fired up a cigar, showered and was relaxing with a sore back by the time Patricia returned home from work. The back still feels it this morning, so I will forgo the treadmill walk, and the weight lifting for today, although I may get off my ass and walk the town a little later on.

Enjoy the Day!

back later...........

-----------------

photos-top left--after 5 straight days of sunshine and 70 something, today dawned cloudy, a more like "The Skies of November Turned Cloudy" type day./The Kennel overgrown and the Kennel sans the Ivy, since we no longer have an "outdoor" dog, I'm not sure what to do with this next....

12 comments:

GUYK said...

Making the decision to retire..and I mean retire completely was a tough decision for me. I had worked at some kind of a paying job since I was eleven years old and it just didn't feel right not working even though I didn't need the income. But, I got used to it and now I figure it was the right decision..

PRH said...

Hell, by the time Obama gets done with us we may have to go back to work, in The Obamanation Concentration Camps.

:(

Anonymous said...

Definitely keep the blog, Pat.

I learn a lot about life and values reading here. I think you should officiate as long as your body is up to it. It sounds like it's good for your spirit, in any case.

I'm still getting over the election, but I too feel myself asking, "where to from here." But I'm like Churchill, and I'll fight from the beaches, from the landing grounds, while conservatives somehow work back up to an acceptable governing coalition on the right.

PRH said...

Thanks Professor Douglas, you catch a lot of flack from both sides, but you are true to yourself, and that is what counts.

Grandpa-Old Soldier said...

Hell after reading you and guyk, I am starting to give my retirement a second thought. you guys work harder retired than I do working 40 per. At least I get to sit on my butt all day.

Buck said...

I get the feeling she thinks I spend too much time around the house, and on the computer for my own good.

One of the VERY few good things about a solitary life is the absence of those "looks" from The Wife, Girlfriend, what-have-ya. Women can complain in lots of subtle ways... they don't have to say a word. But you knew THAT... ;-)

re: retiring. I didn't have second thoughts about it, at all. Those 70-hour weeks were starting to kill me, literally. Life at a start-up (my last job) was exciting as all get-out (rewarding, too) but you pay a price. It got to the point where the cost/benefit ratio was seriously out of whack, so I hung it up. No regrets.

Your officiating schedule makes me tired just reading it, Pat! But Good On Ya, Bro... keep it up as long as ya can!

Same goes for the blog, too. I enjoy reading you... a lot. I may not always agree with ya (completely), but I always enjoy reading you.

Mohawk Chieftain said...

Maybe... if you hurry, you can whelp a suitable pup for President-Elect Obama's little ones! It would make a fine housewarming gift!

Sarge Charlie said...

yo dude, retired has been good to me, as you get older your body starts to give up and now looking at 71 in a few days I am trying to cram all those things I missed into what I have left. all I got now is the Obama cool aid.

PRH said...

Great Idea Chief...except Airedales are much smarter than Democrats, so the Obamaessiah would be overmatched...

:)

Thanks for stopping by.......

Larry said...

Pat, don't you dare give up the blog; it's my connection to my blessed homeland!

PRH said...

Heck, I wasn't going to give up the blog....just deciding what direction I will move it.

More Politics, Less? More Photos, Less, More BS, Less?

:) just eyeballin' which way I want to go.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I've decided that I'll rob banks if it gets so bad my pension and SS can't keep me in peanut butter. Hell, I might as well get some use out of this arsenal! Besides, if I get caught the state will have to fee me.

Have faith in tomorrow...it will all work out to be what you were supposed to do anyway.

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...