Thursday, October 11, 2012

More Reflecting....

The seeds have been sowed for my next 6 or 8 weeks, maybe more....

The doctor's office called yesterday and tell me "No Break" in my foot...but plenty of stress work, sprain, and stretched ligaments...rest, ice, elevation...wrap if needed.  It was looking good for plenty of baseball watching as the Reds took a two games to none lead on the road at San Francisco, but with needing only a single win at home, where they were baseballs best team at home, the  team from Cincy has managed to pee down their legs, and are now facing a one game, winner take all, today at 1pm at home vs the Giants...things are not looking good, especially with ace Johnny Cueto done until at least the World Series, which is now looking like a long shot.  If the Reds don't win today, my "rest" will not go as well...boredom is not something I take well.

Regardless, I am stuck with what I am stuck with...reduced activity for the next 6-8 weeks, and maybe longer.  I guess that depends on how quickly I heal and how well I follow orders...one thing certain, my football days are over for 2012...when you get the bad news, sometimes it's not all that bad.

As Tim Holt said to Walter Huston at the end of "The Treasure of Sierra Madre"...."When the worst happens, it's not really all that Bad"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD55dkiX_ZQ

I had been pressing the issue for weeks....my heel was shot, could not move well on my feet, sore ankles, etc.  The baseball season had wore me out, the football season was about to finish me off....Friday Night was the final nail in the season's coffin.  Now that it has happened, it's not all that bad....I can relax, boring as it is, heal my foot, ankle, and heel, and see what the next weeks will bring.  "Boring"?  Hell Yes!  But I can deal with it...I really don't have much choice.

Past Injuries____

I've been lucky over the years, 2012 not withstanding....

Never had a broken bone, or at least one that could be set and really diagnosed...comes from having strong bones and a thick skull I guess.  The Houseworth clan have big heads and thick skulls, sometime that was passed down from my dad to me, and then to my two sons...all of us have pretty good size heads with thick skulls to match.

I've been punched, hit with bats, fallen over the handlebars face first off bikes{without helmet}, had two major motorcycle wrecks, and in my younger days, fist fights a plenty...but lucky for me, I've never broken anything.  The motorcycle bang-ups were bad, but other than a few years of back issues, I survived those, albeit with plenty of scars, stitches, and pain....

I guess the worst of the foot injuries, before this Friday night last, was back in 1977...

I was going to Wright State Lake Campus during the daytime, working as a bartender at Fat's Stag Bar in Celina at night....I would close up Fat's at 10pm each night, walk home then get ready and jog 3 miles a night, 5 nights a week, usually taking a tour of Celina's west side and downtown...some evenings I would jog over to the County Fairgrounds, just a few blocks away.  One night, while jogging sometime after Midnight, through the dark grounds I stepped on a large branch that had fallen from one of the many trees on the grounds....the pain was like nothing I had ever experienced....I eventually hopped and stumbled my way home, iced up the foot, and waited until the next day to see Doc Finklemeier.

No break, but a nasty high ankle sprain...I was off my feet and on crutches for several weeks....my jogging was never the same, I hated working out during the daylight hours, and could just never get back into running at night, too paranoid I guess, like I had until that night...it was a game/life changer.  I'm not so sure that this latest injury won't be either...time will tell.

One thing for sure, I will have to make a decision on lifestyle changes{like I haven't done that already this year} and changes in my officiating work and schedule.  Despite being active and in what I perceive as good shape for my age, there is no doubt I have to make some adjustments in what I am doing, and how I approach life, if I want to remain active and doing things that actually interest me....

But now I have the time to do just that....so I might as well begin.

back later>>>>

Photos-(top) Now that the results of the X-Rays are in, I can kick back and decide what the next weeks and months will bring, and the changes contained therein...(2) I had one nasty wreck on my 1974 Kaw 250 on/off road bike....but still would like to have it back today, or something like it....and the back yard is now officially 'fall-like'....good thing too, because my mowing days are done for the year.

No comments:

Before February Ends...

The plan is, is to get at least a post a month here for 2024...so here we are in later February so let's do it... It has been, for the m...